Santa Rita Hills

2013 Lafond Vineyard Syrah
The Santa Rita Hills is a small appellation at the western end of the Santa Ynez Valley that has gained national recognition for its Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Syrah.

The Valley runs west to east permitting the late afternoon ocean fog to roll into the Santa Rita Hills, where it lingers until early morning. The surrounding hills trap the fog before it is dissipated in the wider Santa Ynez Valley.

In the spring when frost is our biggest concern a layer of fog over the vineyard can provide protection. In the summer the fog moderates the normally warm days of the valley, cooling the grapes at night. Warm days and cool nights are what gives our Santa Rita Hills Syrah its spicey rich complex flavors.

Our grapes are picked at night so that when they are processed in the morning the temperature in the fermenters can be quickly dropped allowing the maximum extraction of flavor.

Winemaker's Comments: 60% of this wine is Syrah that was grafted in the early 90's to Chenin Blanc planted on its own roots 41 years ago.This is the coolest Syrah block giving the wine a white pepper, lavender and a hint of camphor over dark bramble fruit. The other 40% planted in 1998 in a warmer block tends to be plump, a little jammy, complementing the the grafted vines for added complexity.


Gold Medal 2017 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition

Suggested Retail: 40.00

2013 Lafond Vineyard Syrah 40.00

Stats and images as 300dpi pdf files:

Statistics  |  Bottle  |  Bottle+glass  |  Label




HARVEST
Dates: Oct.8, 2013
Sugar: 24.3 Brix

VINEYARDS
100% Lafond
Santa Rita Hills

WINE
10 Barrels
30% new French Oak
50 day extended maceration
Total Acid: .69
pH: 3.45
Alcohol: 14.3%
Sugar: Dry

Date Bottled: March 10, 2015

Cases produced: 230