The Sta. Rita Hills is a small appellation at the western end of the Santa Ynez Valley that has gained national recognition for its Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Syrah.

The Valley runs west to east permitting the late afternoon ocean fog to roll into the Sta. Rita Hills, where it lingers until early morning. The surrounding hills trap the fog before it is dissipated in the wider Santa Ynez Valley.

In the spring when frost is our biggest concern a layer of fog over the vineyard can provide protection. In the summer the fog moderates the normally warm days of the valley, cooling the grapes at night. Warm days and cool nights are what gives our Sta. Rita Hills Syrah its spicey rich complex flavors.

Our grapes are picked at night so that when they are processed in the morning the temperature in the fermenters can be quickly dropped allowing the maximum extraction of flavor.

Winemaker's Comments: 60% of this wine came from vines grafted to Chenin Blanc rootstock in the 1990's that were initially planted in 1972. The 42 year old roots give us the overtly cool climate, white pepper spice while the remaining 40%, from the warmest site in the Lafond Vineyard, gives us a fleshier, riper dark fruit expression of cool climate grapes.

Double Gold Medal 2019 Tasters Guild International Wine Judging

2014 Syrah Lafond Vineyard

SKU: 471014
$40.00Price
Are you 21 or older?
Are you a wine club member?
  • VINEYARDS

    100% Lafond Vineyard Syrah

    AVA: Sta. Rita Hills

     

    HARVEST
    October 3 - 4, 2014
    Sugar: 25.1 Brix

    BOTTLING

    February 4, 2016

    WINE
    Alcohol: 14.8%
    Total Acid: .69
    pH: 3.37
    Dry

    10 barrel lot, 30% new French oak

    14 months in barrel

    Production: 229 cases

  • We kindly request a 3 bottle minimum order.

     

    Shipping Fee: $9.50 Flat Rate, Fed Ex Ground

    All wine shipments must be ordered and signed for by someone 21 years or older. We recommend using a workplace address to ensure timely delivery. 

    Please Note: During warm weather months, we monitor the temperatures in your area to ensure that the wine is not subject to high temperatures during transit that may damage the wine. If temperatures rise beyond a set threshold, a weather hold may be placed on your order until the weather cools down. 

    Expedited shipping is available on request within reason. Please call the winery for all special requests regarding shipping. 
    Do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns regarding your order.